Departure City: Lisbon
Duration in Hours: 8
Departure Days: Every Day
Tour Starts: 9:00 AM
Tour Returns: 5:00 PM
Departure Location: Hard Rock Café - Restauradores Square
Conclusion Point: Hard Rock Café - Restauradores Square
Tour Description (Detailed):
• Take a walk through the mysterious Pena Park (ticket included), with an astonishing variety of plants and trees and discover secret caves and trails. The park was planted with the help of a German Engineer, a specialist in botany. Go to the Queen´s Throne for an amazing view.Queen Maria II loved this spot because of the fantastic views she had from the Palace, the mountain and the Atlantic Ocean.
• Feel like royalty as you enter the romantic Pena National Palace (ticket included) at the top of the Sintra Mountain (this mountain became a location of cult and adoration), with amazing views of the Moorish castle . This palace was built by Fernando II, a romantic king, an artistic king, an intellectual. He was a german prince who married Maria II.
• Do not miss The Great Triton – guardian of the palace - Inspired in Manueline art and mythology. Have a great view from the Terrace of the Arches;
• Learn more about the beginnings of Sintra, the first inhabitants and the origin of the name of Sintra.
• Inside the palace do not miss: Bedrooms of the King and Queen, the Chapel of Saint Jerome, Saxes room, the Arab room, the Green room, the Queens Terrace, the Indian room, the Nobles room, the Deer’ room and, at the end, the Kitchen
• Lunch break in old Sintra - do not miss the opportunity to taste the delicious pastries from this village: Travesseiro and Queijada. You still have some time to visit the National Palace (ticket not included) .
• Drive around the beautiful Sintra Natural Park, passing Quinta da Regaleira, Seteais and Monserrate
• Enjoy a fabulous photo opportunity at the Roca Cape cliffs – The westernmost point of Europe - ’where the earth ends and the sea begins…’’ – Luíz Vaz de Camões.
• Catch a view of the strong waves at the fashionable Guincho beach, fashionable beach all year around, and a paradise for surfers, windsurfers and kite-surfers.
• Take a scenic drive along the Atlantic coast passing the Boca do Inferno (Hell’s mouth);
• Admire the glamorous town of Cascais, the first Tourism region in Portugal, and enjoy a walk along the bay. In the beginning of the 20th century, this was where the first summer holiday houses, grand hotels, the first casino, and restaurants, all for the very rich social classes were built. Cascais and Estoril were the first summer holiday areas of Portugal, either for Portuguese or foreigners.
• Drive along the coast to Lisbon passing the town of Estoril and its Casino.
Sintra is one of those magical places where man and nature come together in a perfect symbiosis, as if wishing to leave us in a state of permanent surprise, enraptured by the beauty of their joint efforts. We’ll start with a small walk through the mysterious Pena Park and discover secret caves and trails. Afterwards we’ll visit the Pena National Palace, a marvellous fairy tale castle from the 19th century, which is also one of the most important examples of the Portuguese architecture from the Romantic period. Then we’ll head to the historical centre of Sintra where you’ll have free time to explore it and also to visit the Sintra National Palace. After lunch, we’ll drive through the natural wonders of the Sintra Natural Park, passing by several impressive palaces and then stop at the Roca Cape cliffs - The westernmost point of Continental Europe! Next we’ll take you for a scenic drive along the Atlantic coast; we’ll stop at the Guincho Beach (a surfer’s paradise!) and afterwards pass by Boca do Inferno (Hell’s mouth cliff). As last, enjoy a walk along the bay in the glamorous town of Cascais.
Inclusions: 1. Pena Palace & Pena Park entrance
2. Guided visit inside monuments
Languages English, Portuguese; on request in advance: Spanish, French, German, Italian
Blockout dates Dec25; Jan1
Discount Policy: Under 12 years (need child-seat): 32€